The Avet HX Reels are two speed (5/2) saltwater lever drag reels designed to meet the demands of big game species of fish. The 2-speed HX Reels from Avet are designed to offer the best attributes of both the high speed and low speed gear ratio options all in a single reel. Avet HX 2-speed reel models include all of the quality features of their single speed reels, but with all the benefits afforded by 2-speeds. The simple, yet reliable gear shift mechanism built into the 2-speed HX models is so easy to operate that it becomes second nature almost immediately. The push button located at the center of the handle arm permits shifting between the high and low gears without your hand ever leaving the handle knob, and can be shifted with or without pressure, so you can shift while cranking, or when a fish is running.
The benefits of a two speed reel are becoming increasingly obvious to deep sea anglers. Big game saltwater fishermen have long known there is no substitute for the power afforded by low speed gear retrieves typically present in retrieve speeds of 5.0 or lower - fighting fish without that power is an uphill battle. However, the need for a quicker retrieval of lures and bait has lead to interest in the higher gear ratios commonly found in freshwater fishing reels. Combining the two delivers the best of both worlds: make more presentations and get more bites with the high speed 5.4 gear ratio and when those bites come bring the power by flipping over to the lower 2.4 gear speed. The engineering of this reel leaves nothing to be desired - all off the necessary components, strength and fishability constructed within a no-nonsense minimal aluminum frame.
The HX 2-Speed Reels were created by Avet to meet the demands of anglers looking for a truly compact 4/0 sized reel that would match the strength of other manufacturers Baja California specific reels without all the weight. The HX 2 Speeds are perhaps the most versatile reel in the Avet lineup. These reels display a high gearing of 5.4:1 and low of 2.4:1 so you'll have the retrieve speed needed for coaxing wahoo and other active fish into striking, but the power to fight those deep digging Tuna and billfish. The first thing you'll notice about the Avet HX is just how light it is for this type of reel; the overall light weight of the reels is achieved through the use of a single piece precision-machined aluminum frame. Avet removed all the unnecessary weight, yet maintained the rigidity demanded by the pure strength of big game species of fish. In addition to the rigid frame, the HX reels strength is also evident in the offset, machine handle arm and extra large handle which keep all of the anglers force focused on fighting the fish and not the gear. You're not gonna get the wobble you may have found in other reels - its brilliant how precise the machining is in this reel. The reel boasts up to 22lbs of drag while in free spool with a maximum of 28lbs when fully clamped down - more than enough power for any applicable use. Avet's proprietary Avedrag dry carbon fiber drags exhibit superior stopping power, smoothness and wear resistance - providing flawless fishability.
The HX 2-Speed reels are incredibly smooth during freespool and cast like you wouldn't believe. If you're fishing iron you'll be very pleased. The Avet HX Reels are going to perform best when fishing 50-60lb lines, after a few outings with them we can confidently say they are even more versatile, but for our purposes and most of those we've spoken to, 50-60 is ideal. We recommend the Avet HX to anglers targeting species such as: Tuna, Wahoo and Billfish of all types.
We offer the Avet HX 5/2 2-Speed Reels in three different models: HX, HXJ and HXW - in both right and left hand models. Color: Silver.
Avet HX Models
- HX 5/2 is the Two Speed version of the HX 5/01, giving you the high speed gear for line capacity and the low speed gear for more control of your line retrieval rate for the power to turn big fish.
- HXJ 5/2 Two Speed is the narrowest of this series used for jigging and casting. The narrow width of this reel makes it easy to thumb spool allowing for easy castability and line control.
- HXW 5/2 Two Speed is the wider version of this series. This reel will allow you to fish heavier line without the use of spectra and wide enough for heavy top shot with enough room for wind-on leader without losing line capacity. Exceptional Marlin caster.
Avet 5/2 HX Reel Features
- Precision machined 6061 T-6 marine grade aluminum and stainless steel components.
- Anodized for superior corrosion resistance and beautiful finish.
- True one piece frame for the ultimate in strength vs. weight.
- Powerful lever drag system with adjustable strike pre-set.
- Precision machined stainless steel gears.
- Avet's patented, indestructable, silent dog and gear anti-reverse system, the most reliable in the industry.
- Reliable Avedrag dry carbon fiber drags for superior stopping power, smoothness and wear resistance.
- 8 sealed stainless ball bearings.
- Alarm clicker.
- Offset machined handle arm to reduce centerline profile and cranking wobble.
- Large comfortable soft touch handle knob.
- Stainless steel harness lugs, reversible to store within reel when not needed (except HXJ models).
- Wide spool design for large line capacities.
- Matching machined aluminum rod clamp.
- Designed, machined and assembled in USA.
- HX Reel diameter: 3-3/8 in.
- HX Crank handle length: 3-3/8 in. w/ oval knob (HXW Raptor has T-Bar knob).
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DHEP) and lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
My new Avet HXJ 5/2 really kicked-Arse on the Dorado, small tuna and wahoo the last two weeks as we made our way north to San Diego from Mazatlan. Thetis Bank was on fire. My next purchase will be an Avet Raptor reel for those Gorilla Bluefin Tuna !