The Okuma Makaira SEa Reels are 2 speed, lever drag reels designed for a wide variety of saltwater game fish species. The SEa is a special edition of the standard Makaira reels. Major differences between the standard and SE versions start with the aesthetics - you'll notice these reels have a gunmetal finish opposed to the gold of the standard edition. The silver etched yellow fin tuna glistens as bright as the sea on top of the dark gun smoke anodized aluminum frame. This reel is as smooth as it is sleek with its Carbonite Dual Force drag system and its helical cut gears. Its over sized handle and lower low speed gearing versus the original Makaira serve up extreme torque for the Makaira SEa. The Makaira SEa is a great edition to the already popular Makaira family which are all backed by a 5 year warranty.
The differences in performance you'll find in the SE series are significant, but not necessarily applicable to every fisherman's needs. For the most part the standard Makaira will be more than enough reel for deep sea fishing applications. The SE versions are really for those anglers who put their gear under the most intense uses and expect them to perform flawlessly without much care. We're talking fishermen who are hauling in massive sized Tuna off the west coast and Mexico. The mechanical differences include the changes:
- Increased freespool as a result of oiled, open spool bearings
- Increased clearance between the spool and cross bars
- Larger handles - MK8 - MK15 upsize to the MK20 sized knobs and the MK20/30 reels use the 50 size arm and knobs
- Lower gearing options on the MK20/30 - 1.3:1
- Gun Smoke and Black anodizing
- Yellowfin Tuna etched into side plate
The new Makaira SEa Reels feature a carbon DFD (dual force drag) system for exceptional drag performance, high drag capacity, long term reliability and maximum alignment and durability. Okuma utilized a "Pull Bar Drag System" in all of the Makaira Reels with the intended advantage that the drag is being pulled rather than pushed. This eliminates the heavy pressure placed on the left side plate of the reels and relies upon the frame for reel stability - with Okuma's new engineering they have completely eradicated the issue. The Pull Bar design creates no pressure that would cause frame flex or reduced drag pressure. Okuma's SEa Makaira Reels have none of the flex issues common with other lever drag reels which allows anglers to confidently fish the correct size reel rather than upsize to overcompensate for the inadequacies.
Sourcing their drag system design to Tiburon Engineering of Santa Ana, CA, Okuma was able to increase maximum drag pressure, reduce side load pressure on ball bearings and improve heat dissipation in their Makaira SEa Reels which ultimately results in longer lasting smoothness. Comprised of two carbon fiber drag washers bonded together with a fiberglass core, Okuma's Dual Force Drag is considered a wet drag system. Start-up inertia has been reduced to next to nothing due to the washer coating process which utilizes a thin layer of Cal Sheet's universal drag grease. The Makaira SEa Reel's smoothness can be largely attributed to the precision ground, polished stainless steel drag plates. The stainless steel friction drag plates have a minimum 32 Rockwell hardness allowing for high-end drag settings and consistently smooth drag performance at all ranges!
We offer the Okuma Makaira SEa Reels in 6 models ranging from 8II to 30II, for more detailed information, please consult the specs chart below.
Makaira SEa Reel Features:
- Open spool bearings with TSI-301 oil. Increases freespool 2-1/2 times.
- All non-spool bearings feature full grease pack for maximum longevity.
- Features Special Edition Gun Smoke and Black anodizing.
- SE reels will feature a yellowfin tuna etched into the side plate.
- Frames have been machined out for increased clearance between spool and cross bars.
- MK-8/10/15 will feature MK-20 size handle knobs.
- MK-20/30 features the MK-50 handle arm and knobs
- New lower speed 1.3:1 gear ratio featured in 20/30 sizes.
- 6061-T6 Machined aluminum frame with forged side plates
- 17-4 stainless steel gearing
- Helical cut gears for increased torque, smoothness and improved gear meshing
- Makaira reels all feature two-speed gearing systems
- Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool
- CRC: Corrosion-Resistant Coating process
- Patented spool pin system for use with braided or mono lines
- Carbonite Dual Force Drag system featuring Cals universal drag grease
- Custom designed thrust bearing: Alleviates side load on heavy drag settings
- 4-pcs ABEC-5 precision Sapporo stainless steel ball bearings
- Double dog, proprietary silent anti-reverse system
- Ratcheting drag lever and drag cam for precise drag setting
- Patented T-Bar handle with Easy Roll graphite insert on all models
- Heavy duty stainless steel ratcheting clicker system
- Heavy duty, 17-4 grade stainless steel drive and spool shafts
- Type-II gunmetal anodized frame, side plates, spool, drag lever and handle
- Open top frame design on MK-5II, 10II, 15II, 20II, 30II
- Lug and plug system on all open top reel models
- Machined thumb rest on rear cross bar for improved ergonomics
- Forged aluminum, full hard anodized reel foot and reel clamp
- Precision placement of drain holes maximizes water removal from reel
- Special screw ports around side plate screws reduces water/corrosion buildup
- Makaira lever drag reels are backed by a 5-year warranty
Makaira SEa Reel Technology
Dual Force Drag DFD - Incorporates both surfaces of the spool to maximize high-end drag pressure, efficiency and overall smoothness. Mounted in the top of the spool and protected by the Hydro Block system is a multi-disc felt drag system that works in conjunction with a secondary drag system that is mounted under the spool. Even pressure is applied to both surfaces of the spool for maximum stability.
Carbonite - Okuma's all-new "Carbonite" drag system features a newly-developed carbon-based drag material which displaces heat and friction consistently and steadily even under the harshest of fishing conditions. Used in conjunction with a small amount of specially-formulated Okuma drag grease, the Carbonite drag system allows for a much wider and smoother drag range, all while maintaining exceptional performance and pure fish-stopping power.
Machined Rigid Frame - Okuma's Machined Rigid Frame construction incorporates a one-piece fully-machined aluminum frame. These rigid bar-stock aluminum frames are the ultimate in precision alignment and tolerances withstanding more pressure and torque than any other material used in our industry for frame materials. Okuma features these anodized frames on fly reels, baitcast reels, lever drag reels and star drag trolling reels.
2-Speed Gearing - Okuma's 2-speed technology incorporates two sets of stainless steel main and pinion gears, allowing anglers the option of a high-speed gear ratio or a powerful low-speed gear ratio for maximum power and torque. To shift gears it is as easy as pushing a button or popping a lever with Okuma's unique shifting design to obtain the appropriate gear ratio you desire.
T-Bar - T-Bar Handle: The patented design of the T-Bar handle offers a true ergonomically correct angle to ensure an angler gets maximum power with minimum fatigue. The T-bar takes full advantage of the natural dynamics of the human hand, wrist and forearm to help sustain power and endurance for the angler.
|Monofilament line capacity.||Max Drag @
|Max Drag @
|MK-10IISEa||4.7:1 & 2.1:1||4BB+1TB||26.1||33.5" & 15.0"||460/15||27-lbs||34-lbs|
|MK-15IISEa||4.7:1 & 2.1:1||4BB+1TB||26.8||33.5" & 15.0"||550/20||27-lbs||34-lbs|
|MK-16IISEa||4.3:1 & 1.3:1||4BB + 1TB||40||39.2" & 11.8"||870/20||34-lbs||48-lbs|
|MK-20IISEa||3.8:1 & 1.3:1||4BB+1TB||45.8||39.4 &13;.2||870/25||37-lbs||55-lbs|
|MK-30IISEa||3.8:1 & 1.3:1||4BB+1TB||48||39.4 &13;.2||850/30||37-lbs||55-lbs|
|MK-50IISEa||3.2:1 & 1:1||4BB + 1TB||60.2||37.8" & 11.9"||1000/30||60-lbs||85-lbs|
|MK-8IISEa||4.7:1 & 2.1:1||4BB+1TB||24.2||33.5" & 15.0"||320/15||27-lbs||34-lbs|
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DHEP) and lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov